ORANGE Style writer Julia Duke spills on some of her favorite designers and brands. By Julia Duke
We all fall victim to the bookmarking button when browsing the web. We bookmark things we love, things we want and things that may be a tad out of reach.
My Bookmarks folder stashes a personal collection of fresh-faced fashion curators and their labels, all of which I drool over. Here is my list of the five leading ladies’ brands that are killing it in the fashion world:
- Trademark: Tory Burch has made quite the name for herself in the fashion industry. We all recognize that logo, but now her ex-step-daughters Alexandra and Louisa are taking a whack at it. Trademark is hot off the presses and offers preppy American sportswear to all of the modern minimalists out there (think J. Crew, but better). The duo considers their clothing as “the blocks on which to build a wardrobe.” Every staple piece runs under $500, with the least expensive items priced at $34. Not surprisingly, the brick-and-mortar store plans to open its doors in SoHo on Grand Street in the Big Apple.
- Stone Cold Fox: If a girl walks into a room, and everyone stops to stare, she probably owns a Stone Cold Fox piece. Two beachy gal pals take credit for the embellished crop tops, floral playsuits and floor-length gowns. When styled with sand-swept hair, these flirty garments fit in perfectly among the palm trees and waves along the California coast. Browse through their most recent collection and you are bound to find something that will bring out the “stone cold fox” in you.
- THE ROW: Remember the Olsen twins? Mary-Kate and Ashley? Although you may not be able to tell them apart from one another, their brand is distinguishable from the rest. Bergdorf’s carries the line, so you know it’s exceptional. Although these goodies might be off-limits because of their hefty price tags, the lookbooks are still fun to gawk over, especially if you like minimalist chic in neutral shades and oversized silhouettes.
- Luv AJ: This Cali-girl line is the queen of edgy accessories, especially when it comes to gold and silver plated rings, body chains, cuffs, statement earrings and belts. These adornments, which have a rocker-punk vibe to them, make a statement without trying too hard. Even A-list celebs sport the collection, but don’t let that fool you — the items are actually affordable. One of my personal favorites is the ID Necklace, which is a carbon copy of the famed Celine gold chain necklace, but for one-tenth of the price.
- Raquel Allegra: Yes, this brand boasts mostly lightweight basics. Yes, each piece costs upward of $100. But I have to hand it to Raquel Allegra - up close, the company's items are much, much more than just comfy sleepwear. Although they really do seem appealing to lounge around in, the fabrics, the textures, the distressing and the tie-dye prints are perfect for any outfit combo. The best part is that you can easily mix and match pieces. And, once in a blue moon, the site has a sale (lucky us).