Story by Collyn Burke
Illustrations by Maryam Amjadi
College is hard enough without having to fear the dreaded “Freshman Fifteen.” Moving away from home and trying to control your own diet can be difficult, but instead of turning to the ramen, check out these healthy dorm meals.
CHOCOLATE CHIA SEED PUDDING WITH RASPBERRIES
2 tablespoons chia seeds
½ cup coconut milk
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cinnamon
1 ½ tablespoons maple syrup
- In a small bowl combine the chia seeds, coconut milk, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- Stir well and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Take the mixture out of the fridge and stir to prevent clumps.
- Refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Mix the maple syrup into your pudding mixture.
- Top with raspberries.
EGG WHITE BAGEL SANDWICH
One thin whole wheat bagel
¾ cup egg whites
10-15 spinach leaves
1 wedge Laughing Cow Herb & Garlic Cheese
2 slices tomato
2-4 slices of avocado
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon of your hot sauce of preference
- Mix egg whites, spinach leaves, and salt in a bowl.
- Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds.
- Smear the cheese on one side of the bagel.
- Place the tomato slices on the bagel.
- Gently place the egg white and spinach mixture on the tomatoes.
- Top with the avocado and hot sauce.
1 piece whole wheat pita bread
½ shredded mozzarella cheese
¼ cup spinach
¼ cup mushrooms
¼ grape tomatoes, cut in half
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the pita bread
- Place spinach, tomatoes, and mushrooms on top of the cheese.
- Microwave for 2 minutes or until the cheese melts.
CHEESY BROCCOLI CASSEROLE
1 cup instant brown rice
5-6 pieces frozen broccoli
2 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon water
- Follow instructions on instant rice box.
- In a bowl, mix cheese, water and broccoli.
- Microwave for 2 minutes.
- Use a fork to mash the broccoli into smaller pieces.
- Pour the cheese and broccoli mixture into the rice.
- Mix until the rice is completely covered.
4 slices of tomato
4 slices of mozzarella
2 pieces whole wheat bread
2 tablespoons basil pesto
4-5 leaves of basil
- Spread the the basil pesto on one side of the bread.
- Place the mozzarella slices on the pesto.
- Top with tomato and basil leaves