Looking to better your election night experience? Whether you’re throwing a party with your friends or just need something to munch on to calm the nerves, these simple, sweet and election-ready snacks are the perfect fit. From cookies to popcorn, we’ve got your election night covered.
Story by Collyn Burke
Illustrations by Jesus Acosta
Elephant and Donkey Sugar Cookies
1 cup softened butter
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 ½ cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
Donkey and elephant cookies cutters
16 oz. can of blue frosting
16 oz. can of red frosting
16 oz. can of white frosting
Red, white, and blue sprinkles
1. In a small bowl, mix the butter and the confectioners’ sugar until light fluffy.
2. Mix in egg and almond and vanilla extracts.
3. Gradually mix in flour and salt.
4. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap.
5. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
6. On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out until it’s about ⅛ of an inch thick.
7. Use the cookie cutters to cut out your donkey and elephant cookies.
8. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray and place cookies two inches apart.
9. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes or until lightly browned.
10. Allow cookies to rest until cooled.
11. Use frosting and sprinkles to decorate cookies as desired.
1 cup flour
1 cup yellow cake mix
½ cup unsalted softened butter
½ cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
⅛ teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons red, white, and blue sprinkles
12 oz. bag white chocolate
Red and blue food dye
Black edible food marker (can be found in the baking isle)
1. Mix together the sugar and butter until smooth.
2. Add in the flour, cake mix, vanilla, salt, milk and sprinkles.
3. Roll the truffle mixture into balls.
4. Let them chill in the refrigerator until firm (about 30 minutes).
5. While the truffles are chilling, separate your white chocolate evenly into three bowls and melt.
6. In one of the bowls mix in three-to-four drops of blue food dye.
7. In one of the other bowls mix in three-to-four drops of red food dye.
8. Once the truffles have firmed up, coat them evenly in white chocolate.
9. Allow the truffles to set until the chocolate is hardened.
10. Dip the top of the truffle about ⅓ of the way into the blue chocolate.
11. Dip the bottom of the truffle about ⅓ of the way into the red chocolate. You should still have a thick strip of white in the middle of your truffle.
12. Allow the chocolate to harden.
13. Once the chocolate on both sides is hardened, use your food decorating marker to write “VOTE!” on the remaining white part of the truffle.
Red, White and Blue Rice Krispies
6 tablespoons of salted sweet cream butter
6 cups of mini marshmallows
Red food coloring
Blue food dye
6 cups rice krispie cereal
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium heat until melted.
2. Add the marshmallows to the melted butter and stir until they are completely melted.
3. Turn off the heat.
4. Separate the marshmallow mixture evenly into three bowls.
5. In one bowl add four-to-five drops of blue food coloring, or enough to make a royal blue color.
6. In another bowl, add four-to-five drops of red food coloring, or enough to make a cherry shade of red.
7. Put two cups of rice krispie cereal into each bowl.
8. Mix the rice krispies into the marshmallow mixture until they are completely coated.
9. In a shallow 9x11 pan place a sheet of wax paper.
10. Press the blue dyed rice krispies into the pan, creating a thin bottom layer
11. Press the undyed rice krispies into the pan on top of the blue, covering it completely.
12. Take the red rice krispies and completely cover the undyed layer.
13. Cut the rice krispies treats into squares.
10 cups of popped popcorn
3 tablespoons salted sweet cream butter
3 cups mini marshmallows
2 cup red and blue M&M’s
½ cup red and blue sprinkles
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
2. Mix the marshmallows into the butter until completely melted.
3. Pour the marshmallow mixture over the popcorn until completely covered.
4. Mix in the M&M’s and sprinkles.
Straw (berry) vote
16 oz. sStrawberries
12 oz. white chocolate
1. Melt the white chocolate.
2. Dip the strawberry in the melted chocolate.
3. Dip half of the strawberry in the blue sprinkles.
4. Let dry.